Episode 9: Saturday 12/4/2010
Roster: Steven Callas, Vitto #9, Rontourage, Bazooka, Benguin, Mike Zuniga
**Note** This episode will be recorded on Saturday to try and give some of the others who haven’t been able to record in a while a chance.
- Vitto will be reviewing Firefox Beta 4 for Android
- I’d like to hear some commentary on the Gawker Universe redesign this week: http://gizmodo.com/5702374/why-gawker-is-moving-beyond-the-blog
- Oh Noes! What a Surprise!! Surely none of us had the slightest suspicion that the Chinese government was behind the Google hack! /s http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/29/wikileaks-chinese-politburo-responsible-for-google-hacking/
- Moment of silence. Irvin Kershner, Director of Empire Strikes Back, best of the first three, dead at 87. Irvin, we wish it had been Lucas instead. http://io9.com/5701120/empire-strikes-back-director-irvin-kershner-dies-in-la-at-87
- Only io9 would have Disaster Week during black friday/cyber monday/cyber week. How to survive a mass extinction: http://io9.com/5700371/how-to-survive-a-mass-extinction and other fun disaster week topics: http://io9.com/tag/disasterzone/
- How to get student discounts forever… I love lifehacker: http://lifehacker.com/5700743/how-to-get-student-discounts-forever
- Darth Vader shills for Galaxy S in Japan, but jedi mind trick can’t seem to make it the droid you’re looking for, or, you know, make the ads not lame: http://gizmodo.com/5701142/buy-a-galaxy-s-get-a-free-sith-lord
- Meanwhile, back at the DEATH OF THE PC: pc shipments were up 14 percent in 2010 from 2009 which was also up despite the recession. However, people are holding on to PCs longer and the Desktop ain’t going nowhere: http://techcrunch.com/2010/11/29/gartner-pc-shipments-up-14-percent-409-million-computers-to-be-sold-in-2011/ (Gonzo is not surprised)
- File this under both “geniuses who are morons,” “another stupid patent causing stupid patent shit,” and “upside down world.” Facebook being sued for HAVING privacy settings by the apparent inventor of privacy settings (the creator of priceline.com Jay S. Walker): http://techcrunch.com/2010/11/30/facebook-sued-for-having-privacy-controls-in-place-yes-seriously/
- Google TV, Apple TV, now Microsoft/Xbox 360 TV? * I vote for calling it 360 TV*: http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/29/microsoft-in-talks-to-start-new-tv-service-using-the-360/
- Sony PSP to gain unlimited music via cloud-based Qriocity service… Yo dawg, I heard you like… oh never mind. *yawn*: http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/29/sony-psp-to-gain-unlimited-music-via-cloud-based-qriocity-servic/
- The crowds seem to be speaking with their wallets. 2.5 million Xbox Kinects sold in the first 25 days. http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/29/microsoft-announces-2-5-million-kinects-sold-in-first-25-days/
- As a wise man once said, “Wikileaks is what happens when you put America in one of the TSAs full body scanners.” How do you like those titties, America?: http://www.boingboing.net/2010/11/29/boing-boings-wikilea.html
- This will be played out by the episode, but Google beatboxing: http://gizmodo.com/5701485/how-to-make-google-translate-your-own-personal-beat-boxer
- Curious to see how iPad only magazines pan out: http://gizmodo.com/5701553/richard-bransons-ipad+only-mag-may-launch-tomorrow-with-tron-goodness
- Every issue of Playboy from 1953 to 2010 on one hard drive. I promise to give a shit once I’m done at youjizz.com: http://www.boingboing.net/2010/11/29/every-issue-of-playb.html
- Sony has moved 4.1 million playstation moves. Seemingly better than Kinect performance, but they ahve noted it is just sales, not installation. Which means many of them are either bundles or people buying multiple. A problem Kinect doesn’t have. In essence, it still looks like more people have the Kinect than the Move, but more Moves, by necessity have been sold: http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/30/sony-ships-4-1-million-playstation-move-controllers-to-retailers/
- First criminal trial over modding a game console begins Tuesday: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/11/xboxmodding-trial/ I can understand a third party modding and selling, so this case holds water, but they better not come fux with me if I mod for myself and not for profit. (Update: Oh look, it’s been dismissed: http://consumerist.com/2010/12/xbox-modding-case-dismissed.html)
- Have you googled yourself lately? Sure you haven’t been accused of murder?: http://gizmodo.com/5702274/college-kid-discovers-false-murder-accusation-while-googling-himself
- Benguin’s app of the week: Qrank for iPhone and Facebook. http://qrankthegame.com/
- Stupid cartoon characters on stupid Facebook promoting (?) child abuse.
- I heard you like cameras, so we put one in the back of your head: http://gizmodo.com/5706136/heres-video-of-the-guy-who-surgically-implanted-a-camera-in-the-back-of-his-head
- Playstation Phone video. Why do video leaks always use such shitty cameras and never show what we want to see. AND DAMN IS THAT A FAT FUCKING PHONE!
- Droid 2 nearly killed a man. Better watch yourself Steven!